Tuesday, June 21, 2011

to live outside the range of the electric cables was to live an isolated savage.


the whole world was civilized; the whole world dealt in cities; the whole world was property.


He had heard now of the moral decay that had followed the collapse of supernatural religion in the minds of ignoble man, the decline of public honor, the ascendancy of wealth. For men who had lost their belief in God had still kept their faith in property, and wealth ruled a venial world.






These are some of the quotes found in this novel. Rather presciently accurate for a novel written about a hundred years ago about the 21st century, don't you think? I rushed through this book for Book Club, only to find out that we won't be having a meeting till next week, when I'm gone for camp. Oh well. I'm not a fan of science fiction (the last book we did was "I Am Legend" and I gave up after reading the first 50 pages. Couldn't stand it), and so it took a few chapters for me to get "into" it. Even now, when I have about 70 pages left (of the 325 pages), I'm kind of tired of it already. However, it was rather thought-provoking and made me reflect on what direction our society/ world is heading towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment