Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bollywood produces some of the best movies in the world!


My idea of a wonderful (as usual date-less) Saturday  night
Dinner with my roommates: An eclectic mix of leftover casserole, chicken, tofu stir fry, vegetable stir fry and tamales
Intermission: Watched Lagaan 
Dessert: Moose tracks ice-cream! 

I dislike long movies (over 3 hours), especially long Hollywood movies because most of them drag on and on and on and on. There are a few exceptions (let's see,Braveheart... and er... er...).

But Bollywood- man! They know how to make loooooong movies that can hold the audience's attention for every single minute . Even the singing parts. 

Let's take Lagaan for instance. My roommate borrowed this 220 minutes long movie from the library. It was so long, we had to watch it over two Saturdays. Every single minute, though, was worth it. This film is incredible!. I have not watched a film that evoked so much passion in me or had me sitting on the edge or had me cheering out loud as this film did since Slumdog Millionaire. It was so intense, we had to take a breather halfway to calm ourselves down and gear ourselves for the final hour. 

The film is about a group of Indian villages who take on their pompous British colonizers in a game of cricket. If the British win, the villagers have to pay triple "lagaan" (land tax). If the villagers win however, they are freed from paying lagaan for three years. Simple plot, but oh my, what a film! 


2 comments:

  1. I've only seen a couple Bollywood films (thanks to Kelsy and Kara), and they were cheesy and I couldn't stand the singing. I saw Slumdog Millionaire on TV and loved it! Maybe I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah ha ha yes the singing takes a bit getting used to. but if you like Slumdog Millionaire, you will love this as well. This is one of the more serious movies, and was nominated Best Foreign Film at the Oscars in 2001, so there are the credentials! :)

    ReplyDelete