Tuesday, June 21, 2011

So Proud of my Sisters!

I have not seen my sisters for over three years! Not since I left in August 2009.

Let me tell you about Abish. Abish recently returned from serving a mission for my church in Oakland California. I loved reading her weekly letters, and they always inspired me. Thinking about her experience makes me recall my own experience. Being on a mission is not easy at all, and that's why knowing that she served and returned honorably makes me proud of her.

Then there's Myra, who is still a teenager. However, just recently, she wrote in a letter to the Singapore newspaper refuting a reporter's claim that Mormons continue to practice polygamy, and her letter was published! Concise but dead on.

Ignore the top letter

Because of the image ratio, etc, you can't click to enlarge it. Here is her letter:

In Sandra Leong's article, Tough Love (LIfe!, June 14), she wrote: "Though the act of polygamy is outlawed in the United States, some religious communities such as the Mormons in Utah, still practise it."

I am from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are known as LDS (Latter-day Saints) or more commonly as Mormons.

We do not practice polygamy. This has been our law since 1890.

People who practice it are either non-members or have been excommunicated from the Church. They are not true Mormons or LDS.

This is not the first time Life! has reported on the TV series Big Love and made similar misguided statements regarding LDS and our supposedly ongoing practice of polygamy. 

I hope this clarifies our beliefs and that a similar mistake would not be repeated.

Really proud of both of them, and can't wait to see them in 2 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment