Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dinner Group Disasters... Made Right. Sort-of

Disaster #1 Almost-Failed Hainanese Chicken Rice

My dinner group has 12 people, and I wanted to cook this famous Singapore dish. I only had 2 sauce packets left and *erhem* decided to simply increase the amount of rice and chicken in the rice cooker by a third. Unfortunately, it didn't work, and I was left with half-cooked rice and half-raw chicken. Oops! I had to scoop out half of the rice and chicken and cook it over the stove.

Disaster #2 Almost-Failed Vegetable Curry

This dish was going well until I tasted it at the end and realized that it was much spicier than I anticipated, which meant that many of my American friends would find it to spicy. Panicking, I added in sugar. Lots and lots of sugar. In fact, too much sugar, and it became too sweet. What did I do? I decided to add in more curry paste, except I ran out of vegetable curry paste, and (my "brilliant" idea) added in Singapore Curry Paste instead. It tasted... not like vegetable curry, but oh well, no one except I would know right? ;)

(Potential) Disaster #3 Almost-Didn't-Get-Done-On-Time Longan Almond Jelly

I made only one packet of almond jelly and one can of longan, and then thought I better make another batch just in case. I made my second batch of jelly just 10 minutes before dinner started. I boiled the water, dissolved the powder and poured it into the mold all in record time, then into the FREEZER to harden. Good thing I made another batch though, because the first batch was gone.

Despite my almost-failures, I'm still a huge dinner group junkie!

No comments:

Post a Comment