Wednesday, May 25, 2011

First Summer Book Club Meeting

We had our first Summer Book Club last night, and discussed Christopher Priest's The Prestige. The movie is based on the book, though it deviates quite a bit from the original novel. Kudos to Priest for his very original novel, as well as the screenplay adapters for being able to write a clever script that still pleases fans despite the major differences in plot.

This is my first book club I've ever been in, and I enjoyed the first meeting we had. It was nice to have a stimulating conversation that had nothing to do with school (or politics). I was also intrigued by the different interpretations that people had of various parts of the book. I get so used to thinking that my way is the only right way, and the conversation we had last night reminded me again that sometimes, my way is not the only way.

There are also several themes in the book that were highlighted and discussed, and one question that I want people to think about it, how far would you go to further your career? How do you know when to draw the line between dedication and obsession? 

Those who are major fans of the movie, read this book. It is very good. If not, read it only if you are interested in magic.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know it was a book! The movie Justin and I saw on our first date. I think I'll check out the book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete