Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cheesecake Off!

I never thought I would ever say "I am so sick of cheesecake."
Well, I did.

Yesterday, for Memorial Day, my singles ward hosted a BBQ (with steak! Ooh la la!) and Cheesecake-off.
The Table of Cheesecakes
Since I love cheesecake, I naturally made not one, but two different types of cheesecakes!
The first was Paula Deen's Caramel Apple Cheesecake.

Crust, layer of apple pie filling, cheesecake and more apple pie filling. It was super easy and tasted really good, except the next time, I'm going to stop at this:
Notes to myself:
  • Not a good idea to sandwich cheesecake between two layers of pie filling- pie filling taste is too overpowering. Skip the on top layer, this way the pie filling inside would be a surprise to eaters thinking its just a normal cheesecake
  • Bake cake right before eating. Best admired and cut when just taken out of the oven, and it's all puffed up and "breathing"- effect is super cool!  
The second cheesecake I made was inspired by my Mom's mini cheesecake cupcakes and Giada's Orange and Chocolate Cheesecake. I combined the two recipes and came up with my own recipe.

I'm going to name it Valoy's Triple Layer Orange Chocolate Cheesecake Mini Cupcakes in honor of my mom. I seem to have a thing for layers (see previous post on double layer trifle). I'm *erhem* pretty proud of myself because it IS so dang good. I know it's good, because I'm not a fan of orange chocolate, but I love this! 

Thanks to my roommates for helping me decorate them at the very last minute!
3 Layers:
Oroe Crust
Chocolate cheesecake
Special orange cream

Made the batch for the BBQ on my 4th attempt- no wonder I'm so sick of cheesecake! The one with strawberries is plain cream, while the other one has orange cream.

3 comments:

  1. your so much braver than me...I have never attempted making a real cheesecake, only the no bake kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Havalah. Did they have prizes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, best texture, best taste and best presentation. So sad none of mine won! But oh well, it's the fun in making them right? ;)
    Cheesecake is much easier than it looks, just a bit pricey because of the cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete