Thursday, July 21, 2011

First Encounter with Ornithology

Ornithology: Study of birds

Alright, so it isn't exactly my first attempt at ornithology. To be fair, I have no desire to be an ornithologist anyway (remember my aversion to the ducks at the school's infamous duck pond?). But I faithfully completed the "I am a Young Ornithologist" requirements in Primary school and received the badge. Pretty proud of myself, even though I can't remember what I did, and I'm sure my Mom helped me with half of what I was suppose to do.

The only birds I like are PENGUINS.

Despite my not-so-Christlike feelings towards the bird species however, I was intrigued by a family of birds that also live around campus. Unlike those obnoxious ducks, this family was actually pretty *gasp* cute.

They live in the bushes near the Marriott Center. I saw the father (the one with the "thing" sticking out of its head) fly back one day while walking back to the dorms, and it hid in the bushes. I waited for a while and was rewarded with multiple glimpses of his family, scurrying here and there to hide from... me, I guess (smart birds). The chicks were tiny and oh so cute!

Then one day while walking back from my apartment, I saw the parents catching grub at the sidewalk, and I had to capture the moment . Wish my camera was one of those huge ones that can take better close-ups, but oh well, it's still pretty good. I didn't mind these parents, because they were working to find food for their little ones (unlike some more obnoxious birds that wait for people to feed them at the duck pond, and don't even fly away in the winter anymore).

Good to know that the only birds hanging around campus aren't just those irritating ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment