Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Best Pancake Syrup EVER!


Sorry, the spotlight today is on the syrup itself, NOT on the pancakes (pardon the deceiving nature of the pictures).... pancakes still needs tweaking. I'm transitioning to only using whole wheat flour when baking, and... that's another post.

Meanwhile, the syrup was SO GOOD!
My favorite pancake syrup is pure/ real maple syrup (nothing beats natural sweetness). This Buttermilk Pancake Syrup though, is pure awesomeness... no kidding. Tastes like caramel but this is a healthy version- instead of using white sugar and corn syrup, I substituted it with honey and ta dah! Healthy syrup... an oxymoron for sure but who cares when it tastes so good???!!!


Adapted from a bunch of recipes from allrecipes.com

3/4 C buttermilk
1/2 C butter (1 stick)
About 1/3 C honey
1 t baking soda
2 t vanilla
1 decent size saucepan because the sauce will "froth" over when boiled


Stir all ingredients in the pan except the vanilla.
Bring to boil.
Cook a few minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Get ready for pure heaven.

Makes slightly over one cup. 

*P.S. I accidentally added in the vanilla with the other ingredients, and it didn't hurt my syrup, so don't freak out if you do the same too!

1 comment:

  1. Dear friend, I miss you and your syrup so much. I am going to make waffle and syrup this weekend. I wish we can hang out sometime soon. Are you coming to UT during x'mas break?

    ReplyDelete