Sunday, March 22, 2009

You know you are growing old(er) when...


  • You don't mind bumming around at home chilling out, unless you have a very valid reason to go out, like catching up with friends

  • You can't stand reaching home later than 11pm if you have to go out (so a big sorry to all my friends... at least now you know I've truly become changed... hee hee hee! I love to go out still, but I would also like to leave a place by 10pm)
  • You get a calling as a Young Women Leader, instead of being counted as one.

  • You start having conversations that go like this:

Me: So Myra, what time does the youth dance end this Fri?

Youth dance... I can't remember what time it ended when I was a youth, but I (innocently) thought about 9 or 9.30pm... sounds reasonable for a teenager to go home at that time, right?


Myra: About... 10.15pm, and then we will help clean up/ dilly-dally till about 10.45pm then we go home (Remember: home is about a 45 min journey home).

Me: WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT???????!!!!!!!!!

Mom: Yah, and the youth think that it is too early.

Me: ................ - I'd been stunned into silence

  • You actually arrive at the youth dance, and even just looking at them dance makes you feel so tired for them.

  • You sit there listening to the music being played, and you 1) think how annoyingly loud the music is and 2) look at other YSA leaders and know they are thinking the exact same thing as you- "Just who the heck is this singer?! Not my generation anymore...*sigh*"

  • and the worse is yet to come- you realize just how much you have aged when you recall that you used to be one of them, crazy-dancing-queen and everything...

  • You turn on your TAEBO Workout DVD exercise and you just can't keep up with Billy Banks anymore (ok maybe this one doesn't count since Billy Banks is pretty old himself and it's probably just my loss of stamina, but still...)
  • You actually start enjoying being in Relief Society and their slower-pace activities

  • You send someone off on her mission and memories come rushing back of when you were the one being sent off on your mission

  • You get home and discover that half of you friends on Facebook are either married or engaged to be married.

  • and you know you are really really getting older when half of your friends from Singapore are also married. Now that is a real indicator.

But still, for all the horrors that I'm really aging- I LOVE BEING A YOUNG SINGLE ADULT! I LOVE MY EARLY 20S! I tell my Young Women (who have a phobia of Relief Society... some things never change ;p) that I used to dread having to move on to Young Women in Primary, and then when I got to Young Women, I used to dread having to grow up and go on to "Old Women's Club" Relief Society. However it's been fun to move on! Like, I would NOT want to stay a teenager forever and have to go through all the teenage drama and stupid mistakes made over and over again. Just take it one step at a time. Meanwhile, I'm still surfing YouTube for music during "my generation"...

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Keesh. You feel old, which means I feel older..hmmm.. and I'm teaching Primary kids! - Joyce

    ReplyDelete