Thursday, July 9, 2009

What's in my/ your closet?

Don't ask me why I've been obsessed with appropriate office attire lately- probably because I'm one of those who open my cupboard every morning and think, "Hmm... what do I wear today? I have nothing to wear!" Or "Oh dear... I don't want to wear that again."

Still, the fact that I do have clothes to wear is something I should be grateful for.

Here's an interesting article I read just now and I think it's true. It doesn't just focus on office wear, but everyday attire as well. And it applies to everyone, whether you are working or not. The link: http://www.womenco.com/news/articles/2234-10-essentials-every-woman-should-have-in-her-closet?page=1

10 Essentials Every Woman Should Have in Her Closet
1. Black Suit- As in jacket + skirt/ dress pants combination. I have a confesion to make- I like wearing suits. Not ALL the time, but the times I wore a suit jacket on my mission, I really felt empowered. Plus, it makes one look very professional and well-groomed. So I'm all for it, even if I will be future house-wife. you never know when you will need a formal suit. Hey, even the prophets' and apostles'wives wear suits for General Conference!

2. White Dress Shirt- White, like black can go with ANYTHING.

3. Plain Black Pumps- Self-explanatory.

4. A Pair of Great Fitting Jeans- At least one of course. More is definitely welcomed. I think the challenge is the "great fitting"part. reminds me of Taiwan- it's fantastic there because I can find jeans there for S$20, and they alter for FREE (yipee!) AND they do it under 2 minutes. Not kidding you. The lady was even having a conversation with someone else while altering my jeans for me. Unbelievable.

5. Black Dress- The LBD. Again, self-explanatory.

6. Three Spandex T-shirts- Umm... I'm not exactly sure what "spandex T-shirts" mean, because if it's really "spandex", I'm not so sure about this. BUT if we are talking about 3 basic cotton tees, I'm on for it. Dress it up, dress it down. These tees are so versatile. The hard part, is finding a comfortable one.
(Btw, I just went to John Little the other day -yah yah laugh at me for being so "auntie" and shopping there- but I bought 2 basic v-neck tees for $7 each. And they were very comfortable!)

7. Tote Bag- I recommend the first one to be the colour black. Then the other totes/ hand bags can be other colours. And I agree with it being a "tote" bag because always carrying a hand-carrying bag can be very troublesome after a while.

8. Sneakers- Or sport-shoes. True true.

9. Trench Coat/All-Weather Coat- Not sure about this in Singapore, but if you are in any place other than tropical countries, I think this is essentail. Invest in a nice, warm, neutral colour (beige, grey, black) trench coat, and you can wear it ANYWHERE.

10. Khakis/Chinos/Brown Pants- Grey pants work well too. A nice alternative to jeans. And if you don't feel like dressing so formal to work one day, this can be a nice choice too, provided they aren't too grubby. of course.

I knoww this list doesn't include accessories or others, but I think it is a comprehensive list of 10 BASIC stuff to be in a closet. Then anyone can add on- the black skirt, the earrings, etc.
Me? I still have a few items missing. Perfect excuse to go do more shopping. Ha ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment