Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oh...

Unraveling how children become bilingual so easily

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard, Ap Medical Writer
Tue Jul 21, 3:08 am ET

Since the article is so long, click here for the full thing. The most important excerpt is

"While new language learning is easiest by age 7, the ability markedly declines after puberty."

So this perfectly explains why my Chinese was pretty good in like, the first 2 years of Primary school, then once I reached Primary 3 it (very strangely) started declining down

down

down...

Perfect. Science is so amazing as an excuse. :)

Still, I think the advice they gave is good-

But she'd rather see parents follow biology and expose youngsters early. If you speak a second language, speak it at home. Or find a play group or caregiver where your child can hear another language regularly. "You'll be surprised," Kuhl says. "They do seem to pick it up like sponges." (Dr. Patricia Kuhl of the University of Washington is part of the international team now trying to turn those lessons into more teachable technology.)

I think kids are so smart- their brains just absorb things up like a sponge. Plus they are getting smarter and smarter at a younger and younger age! I remember Myra learning her ABCs around 3-4 years old from watching Sesame Street alone- no kidding. If possible, I would love to let my children start some form of education and art appreciation at a young age in music or drawing or SOMETHING (provided of course we are financially able). Trains their minds and makes them more refined and appreciative of the beauties of this world. I think that's why it's so important for more mothers (especially privileged moms-to-be like me who has had a good education) to stay at home and take care of their children, for who better to teach them these things than a stay-at-home mother who has the love, time and education qualifications to do so? You won't have the time or the energy to monitor these things if you are a full-time working mom!

And teach them English and Chinese simultaneously of course.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keesh, i haven't been shadowing you on ur blog but here i am after thinking that you might have been out in the desert of Utah again! :) Alright, regarding your post on children learning fast, i totally agree! Wow, you can say SG moms are kiasu but there must be a reason why we need to! When kids are expose to languages, music and art. it tends to stimulate their brains faster and they seem to absorb all of them. Now I'm trying to read a story of both Eng and Chi to Kaylee. Although she seems more interested to crush the pages, her brain is actually absorbing what I'm teaching her. Next time when she can start reading, don't be surprise that she can read alot of words! You know la, SG education is dang competitive and tough so must teach her and expose her to more things now in order to save me a lot of tuition fees next time. :) Hope you are getting used to provo life again. Sometimes I do miss those relaxing and carefree life over there and all the potluck thingy. Well..i actually started on a new blog but I didn't tell anyone to read yet. But this blog doesn't allow me to post my big file pics. I din use back my old blog cos i forgot my google id! :( Well, here's my new blog link for you: http://joyceylim.livejournal.com/

    Love,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete