Friday, June 12, 2009

YOUTH CONFERENCE 2009!!!

Yes yes, I'm remiss in my posts now, but I have been very busy with my work. However in case anyone is wondering how did YC go (for me), here are my personal thoughts.

The GOOD:

- Being able to spend time with my YW, and get to know them a whole lot more better. Just as I wrote on my Facebook "wall": I fell even more in love with my calling and the YW in my ward.
- Service projects- my group had to build a soccer goal post using PVC pipes and thick strings (for the net) for the indigenous Malay aborigines. This has got to be one of the most meaningful and enjoyable service projects I've participated in (instead of the usual visit old folks home...). Kudos to whoever thought of that idea!
-Getting to know the Malaysian saints. It was quite an experience. There was so much miscommunication initially that everyone (on both sides) were a bit "angsty" in the beginning, but we made up and (on the part of the leaders at least) and had a good time.
-The Dance. Oh yeah! I haven't participated in a dance for a long time, and while I had to chaperon for most of it, I was given the green light to dance with them for the last 2 songs and it was fun!
-The hike. While it was a slight disappointment that we didn't get to do the waterfall hike, it was still quite enjoyable just doing an easy 2 hour long hike. Did you know that Fraser's hill was named after the poor English man Fraser who lived on this hill a long time ago, went explorin one day and never came back? The joke of course, was that if any of the youth got lost there, well, we'll always remember him...
-Dunkin donuts, the smell of durian... even neighbouring countires have some tastes and smells that Singapore (currently) doesn't have. Mmm....

THE BAD:

-The food. It wasn't that bad, but as the camp progressed, my portions became smaller and smaller
-The journey there- blah! It wasn't as bad as I thought, but being cooped up anywhere for 7 hours is no joke.

And... the U-G-L-Y

-The drama. When you put more than 50 teenage girls together, duh...
-The toilets along the way there and back. 'Nuff said
-Some of hte the toilets at the resort itself (yes, I'm VERY picky about my sanitary conditions)
- The last hour on the ride there up the winding winding winding hill (which I timed by the way, and the winding thing was for about an hour no kidding!). Let's just say they should consider renaming the place "Fraser's Mountain" instead of "hill".

I still think it's great to be on the other side of the games line cheering people on, instead of being the one participating and being tortured. :)

Overall though, I REALLY HAD A GOOD TIME AND IT WAS A NICE HOLIDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment