Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Oh I'm definitely from the city!

2 days ago, I was having a conversation with my sister and my mom, and we were talking about pigs, and I was telling them how Taiwanese people love to cook and eat every single part of A PIG. *oink* Myra got a bit disgusted, which reminded me the time I went to visit a Jiang Jie Mei while serving in Bade (my last area) and how she lives on a farm, which on top of growing their own vegetables, also rears their own PIGS.

Laugh all you want, but that was the first time I can recall that I had seen pigs that were alive. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but like I said, that was the first time that I can recall seeing live pigs.

And these pigs aren't those cutesy little "Oh-so-cute-Winnie-the-Pooh-and-friends-Piglet" pigs. These were HUMONGOUS BLACK TOUGH MEAN (alright I'm not sure about the last 2, but you get the point) PIGS. They were humongous- definitely bigger size than me. They were surprisingly not too stinky though, because the pigs and their sty are frequently washed. It was so fun and cool to see these pigs, although if you think about it, it's kind of "disturbing" to think that we ate their poor brother or sister that very day for lunch (and may I add it was a delicious lunch too). Hmmm...

Which prompted my Mom to quip "Oh you are both such cities girls!" I didn't mind actually because it's true and I'm proud of it! It was just a casual observation.

And then my Mom went on to tell us how she used to live in a kampong her younger days and her neighbours reared those gigantic black pigs too, but at that time, the pigs were allowed to ROAM FREE. Now that was a bit more "disturbing" to me because imagine yourself one day walking down the road and a pig suddenly cuts in front of you, or walks beside you... like a dog or something. What do you do?
"Shoo pig! Go back to the farm"?
Or like, "Here piggy piggy... fetch!" and then run away?

Then, yesterday, I went to help out the Cemetery Project for the last time (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, refer to one of my earlier posts).
And talking about being "sua-gu" guess what I stumbled upon?

And you have no idea how excited I was! It was probably because I love history so much, that it's so cool to me to see something as "historical" as this. But tell me, how many of you have seen an authentic well, other than in a museum or as a picture in a story-book? Doesn't mean I want to draw water from a well for my living- gracious no! I'm so thankful for the excellent Singapore water system that we have and water heaters (another one of the world's greatest inventions).
However, you got to admit that seeing a REAL well is quite cool, or at least agree it's not a common sight you see now. I think this is the first time I've seen a "true-blue" well in its "natural habitat". Can you believe it, those wells were once used by the people going to visit and worship their ancestors? It's so exciting!
Which just reinforces the fact how much I'm a city-person.
Yeah yeah- whatever. I love being from a city.
But I do think I think I can live in smaller cities in the future. I served about 6 months in the heart of Taipei City itself and loved it! Then in my last 7 months, I got transferred to a much much smaller, slower-paced, more rural area called Ba De. We also covered part of the Tao Yuan City.
AND I LOVED BADE. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I loved the marathon cycling trips we took there, cycling past fields and farmlands, and once (unintentionally stupidly) into the mountains. I loved the people there- just so more friendly and "qing qie". Plus not to mention the clothes and food there is slightly cheaper as well. In fact, every time I went into the Tao Yuan city, I could feel the change in the atmosphere and the air and the "feel", you know? I loved Tao Yuan too, but I absolutely ADORED Bade.
So, maybe, just maybe, I'm a little-bit-country, and a little-bit-rock-n'-city!


No comments:

Post a Comment