Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My ONE job so far...

I can't complain.
It paid well- $8.50/hr!
Yeah, it was pretty good. But of course, there were trade-offs.

Edlina called me up and asked if I would like to help her company-school (SMa) for a few evening papers.
"$8.50/ hr" she said.
Bingo!
Of course I signed up for it, even if it was so very far... I went to her school last Tues to Fri evening and did tests invigilation. Each paper was on average, about 3 hours long (so typical of Singapore exams right?) 7 ~ 10pm. Add in prep and post-exam time, and I clocked in average 4 hours/ night. Not bad huh?! Except Edlina (and the other experienced invigilators as well) told me that the person in charge of the payroll wasn't quite efficient, so I shouldn't expect my pay anytime earlier than 1 MONTH later. *fainz* Good thing I'm not that desperate for cash.

For the record, it was a good part-time temp job. I could get out of the house and be able to earn some money. I picked up a new skill, made new "acquaintences", travelled round Singapore literally (more about that later) and managed to squeeze in some good reading time (see my last post on "The Last Lecture") while waiting for the bus.

Here are some of my observations:
  • It feels MUCH better to be on the side of invigilating the test than on the other side of taking it. I know- I'm sooooooo evil. Bwa ha ha ha ha! But don't worry, they'll get their revenge.
  • And it's very very very boring. The worse is when you are "locked up" in a small classroom and can't do much walking around. You aren't allowed to read books, and you can't talk much with the other invigilators. No wonder they pay so well.
  • If you don't think too hard, it's really kind of funny that I took 1 & 1/2 hours to travel from my home to the campus in Bukit Merah (Redhill), when, ummm, one can travel across the entire length of Singpaore in less than 1 hour. Now I know what you are thinking- there are bus stops and blah blah blah. Told you to not think too hard :p
  • Bus 167 is AMAZING!!! Here's the entire route: Sembawang -> Yishun -> Thomson Road (the entire stretch, passing the Woo's house and Prata House to Clarissa's home to Thomason Plaza) -. Mt Alvernia Hospital and Far East Flora -> Novena then Newton MRT -> TOWN/ Orchard -> P.S. -> Raffles Place -> City Hall -> The Supreme Court and Cricket Club -> Shenton Way area -> Clementi -> Bt. Merah Interchange. I sat from the first stop to the very last- no wonder it took 1& 1/2 hours to get there! But I truly enjoyed the entire ride. It was nice to take a mini-tour round Singapore, and marvel at the changes and new sights of this beautiful city.

Lastly,

  • Do you know just HOW MUCH people DO look at you and your clothes? I know it's because I've been to BYU and never seen people wear spheg-strap-tops & short-skirts to school before. If they want to wear like that, that's their choice. BUT THEY NEED TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE SEE FROM THE ANGLE OF UP LOOKING DOWN. You see a lot more than you want to see. They was one girl who's top was so... flashy, I was like, "Woah girl! You need to cover up. You're here to take a test, not go clubbing." And then I realized if I was distracted, can you imagine the other guy invigilating with me? Ewww... Honestly, there is a reason why we are told to dress modestly.

1 comment:

  1. i always liked invigilation. beats teaching muahaha

    ReplyDelete