Sunday, April 26, 2009

Book of the Season

If there is a book to read out there now, this has got to be it:


I will forever be indebted to Jermaine for introducing me to this book and even lending it to me. You will ABSOLUTELY FALL IN LOVE WITH IT. Despite Jerm's ravings about it, when I first read the synopsis, I wasn't too impressed. It seemed like one of those gazillion self-help "you-can-do-it!" therapy manuals already out there.

What a delightful surprise it was when it turned out completely the opposite of what I expected! It is a simple, easy-to-read, witty, humorous semi-autobiography of a professor about to lose his life to pancreatic cancer. If you read it in one setting, it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours. And the best thing is, it won't take you more than 2 pages (not exaggerating here!) before you smile and start falling in love with it.



I was crying inside when I read the remaining few chapters, especially when he started talking about his family. But yet, you feel "recharged" because it is an inspirational read loaded with such optimism. He definitely bags the award for the "optimism-vs-reality" struggle that so many of us have.
And the "Thank-you-for-making-geeky-stuff-sound-interesting" Award (he's a Carnegie Mellon computer science professor- completely NOT in my league at all.)
And the "Family Man" award- I want to be a parent just like he was... only the female version of course.
Oh yes, and definitely the "Dying-Species-of-Romantic-Males" Award. Oh my word- read the chapter about him courting his wife. I am so jealous of his wife! And the way he talks about his wife throughout the book... if I could find a man who loves God and his wife as clearly as Randy Pausch does, I'm set for life!
The other thing I've gained from this book is, well frankly, you can call me a LDS-missionary-nerd/ geek/ freak, but I just couldn't help thinking at the end, "This family needs the gospel so much, and the hope that the Plan of Salvation can bring." I've even prayed that they will hear from the missionaries and listen to them, even if it's a few years down the road. Yeah, what a geek I am huh?! But I'm not ashame. I am so thankful for the restored gospel and the knowledge it brings, of forever families in this life or in the eternities, and how truly "No success can compensate for failure in the home".

My favourite quote:
Brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the other people... Brick walls are there for a reason. They give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

And he was talking about courting his wife when he said this. *Swoon* Told you this guy is a (pardon my unintentional pun)"Dying Breed". But I totally agree that this fits into almost any kind of situation and what an analogy it is. You got to want it badly enough!
A MUST READ! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2 comments:

  1. i dont rave lor, i just get enthusiastic over good books! hahaha! he is really one of a kind right?!fantastic guy- i dont think i can be as optimistic as him when i face impending death and separation from my loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah ha ha ha! fine- you didn't rav, but it was def a good recommendation

    ReplyDelete